- First baccalaureate (and oldest continuous) nursing program in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- First Master's and PhD program initiated at a Historically Black College or University (HBCU).
- The Undergraduate programs includes:
- The Master of Science degree program is offered for the roles of nursing education, administration, and nurse practitioner with specialties in family, pediatric and women's health.
- The Doctor of Philosophy degree in nursing is offered with a focus on family and family-related research with a nurse educator track and is available online.
- The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) is offered as a post master's program designed to expand the advanced specialty practice practitioner (NPs, CMW, CRNA and CNS) role in systems evaluation and change, health policy evaluation, leadership and outcomes research; and is available online.