- Faculty and Staff
- News Releases
- Student Resources
- Contact Us
Doctor of Philosophy Degree in Nursing Admission Criteria
Students seeking admission to the Doctor of Philosophy program are subject to the rules and regulations of the University, the Graduate College, the School of Nursing and HamptonU Online. Admission to doctoral program is open to all qualified applicants who meet the requirements stated in the University Catalog.
In addition, admission to the doctoral program requires:
- A master’s degree in nursing from an accredited program.
- A graduate record Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Completed application to the Graduate College.
- A personal statement that delineates the applicant’s: 1) rationale for selecting Hampton University School of Nursing’s doctoral program, 2) description of goals and aspirations, 3) expectations of doctoral study, 4) previous research and scholarship, and 5) current research interest that could lead to the development of a dissertation. The statement should be between 3 and 5 typed pages, double spaced, and in a 12-point Times New Roman or Arial font.
- A current curriculum vita that includes sections on Education, Research and Scholarly Activity, and Service.
- A current valid license to practice professional nursing in any state at the time of admission.
- A personal interview (at the student’s expense) with a faculty member who teaches in the doctoral program.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation from professionals familiar with the applicant’s professional qualifications are required. Letters should be on professional letterhead and address the applicant’s qualifications. Recommendations must come from professionals, such as, the applicant’s most recent employer, a previous nursing professor, supervisors and/or nurse managers. The professional providing the reference must also complete Parts II & III of the recommendation. The recommendation package is available online at huonline.hamptonu.edu .
- Approval of the Graduate Admissions, Scholarships and Standards Committee of the School of Nursing
Admission to the Doctor of Philosophy program is available only online and is administered by HamptonU Online at: huonline.hamptonu.edu