Tuition and Fees
Tuition and fees are due at the beginning of each semester. All fees are subject to change. Refer to the Hampton University Academic Catalog 2014-2016 for further information on tuition and fees. The Office of Admissions and the Financial Aid Office maintain up-to-date information on scholarships.
Nursing Students’ Fees
Expenses for baccalaureate nursing students are similar to those of other students. However there are additional fees required while matriculating in the program.
Financial Aid, Loans, and Part-time Employment
The primary function of Financial Aid is the allocation of the University’s financial aid resources in a manner that provides the maximum benefit to the student who requires aid. Aid is made available in the form of scholarships, grants-in-aid, National Direct Student Loans, educational opportunity grants (SEOG, BEOG/PELL, and TAG), assistantships, work-study, and Health and Human Services (HHS) nursing loans. Refer to the Hampton University Academic Catalog 2014-2016 for further information on financial aid. The Financial Aid Office can be reached at (757) 727-5332.
Other Financial Assistance Opportunities
Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant Program (VTAG): A grant available to Virginia residents only. Any full-time undergraduate or graduate student who is a domiciliary resident of Virginia is eligible to apply for this grant. Award is determined each year by the State Council of Higher Education.
General Assembly Nursing Scholarship: Scholarship loans of up to $2,000, depending on need, are awarded by the Bureau of Public Health Nursing. These loans are available to any bona fide resident of the State of Virginia who has been accepted as a graduate or undergraduate student by a state accredited school of nursing in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Virginia Education Loan Authority (VELA) Guaranteed Student Loans: Graduate students in good standing may borrow up to $5,000 per year, while undergraduate students may borrow up to $2,500 per year. Repayment begins 9-10 months after graduation or withdrawal from a degree program. Residents of other states may apply for guaranteed student loans through their home states.
Nursing Endowed Scholarships and Awards: The School of Nursing awards the following special scholarships and awards to deserving students on the basis of criteria formulated for each scholarship. The nursing endowed scholarships and awards include the following:
- Baytop Gardiner and Yeong Endowed Scholarship
- Bertha L. Davis Endowed Research Fund
- Centennial Contribution Given Foundation Nursing Scholarship
- Class 1954 Endowed Scholarship
- Daniel and Louise Armstrong Award
- Delta Sigma Theta Endowed Scholarship
- Elnora D. Daniel Leadership Award
- Estella Reynolds Endowed Scholarship
- Fostine Glenn Riddick Award
- Givens Foundation for Nursing Scholarships
- Hampton University Nursing Alumni Endowed Scholarship
- Johnnie B. Bunch Endowed Scholarship
- Lillian Lively Stafford Memorial Endowed Scholarship
- M. E. Carnegie Nursing Archives
- Patricia E. Sloan Endowed Fund
- Sallie Tucker Allen Endowed Nursing Scholarship
- Shirley Gore Endowed Scholarship
- Teresa A. Thomas Memorial Foundation Endowed Scholarship
- W. Adrian Freeman Graduate Fellowship
- W. Adrian Freeman Nursing Scholarship
- Walter R. and Louis S. Brown Scholarship
Other scholarships specifically for students of nursing are awarded on an annual basis as funds are donated, but are not endowed funds.
Health Care Agency Scholarship: Scholarships may be available from local, state, and federal health care agencies. To qualify for these scholarships, usually students must be in the last two years of the nursing program and have at least a 2.5 grade point average. The Veterans Affairs Hospital System offers a scholarship program known as the Health Professional Scholarship Program.
Additional scholarship information
- Accredited Schools Online
- CampusRN Scholarships
- Federal Student Aid
- LPN to BSN
- My Rn to BSN
- National League for Nursing (NLN)
- National Student Nurses Association (NSNA)
- Nursing Career Specialties
- RN to BSN (rntobsn.org)
To view posted scholarship, job, and externship opportunites, please visit the HU School of Nursing Blackboard page and click on "Scholarships, Jobs, and Externships" under Information.