Historical Overview

1891

  • The Kings Chapel Hospital for Colored and Indian Boys, Abbey Mae Infirmary, and the Hampton Training School for Nurses were started on the campus of Hampton Institute. Alice Bacon was instrumental in starting the Hampton Training School for Nurses. The school was commonly called Dixie Hospital, and its first graduate was Anna DeCosta Banks.

1931

  • Nina Gage appointed director of the Hampton Training School for Nurses.
  • Students earned a diploma from a three-year program from Hampton Institute.

1934

  • Ruth J. Hopper appointed director (1934-1936).

1936

  • Clara G. Lewis appointed director (1936-1939).

1943

  • J. Henry Suttergood, chairman of the Board of Trustees of Hampton Institute, sought approval for a nursing program. Program provisions were made in the 1943-44 budget.
  • Mary Elizabeth Lancaster (Carnegie) appointed acting director of the Division of Nurse Education. She implemented the first continuous baccalaureate nursing program in Virginia.

1944

  • Cecile E. Authier appointed director of the Division of Nurse Education.
  • It was the first baccalaureate nursing program in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
  • Professional nursing courses were taught on affiliations, sometimes in distant cities: St. Philip School of Nursing in Richmond, Virginia; Brooklyn State Hospital in Brooklyn, New York; Union of the King's Daughter's; and the Visiting Nurse Service, Norfolk, Virginia.
  • Due to limited clinical opportunities for African Americans, clinical affiliations in public health were expanded to Staten Island, New York; Washington DC; and Bayonne and Hackensack, New Jersey.

1946

  • Five students graduated from Hampton's Cadet Nurse Corps.

1952

  • The nursing program received temporary accreditation from the National League for Nursing.

1953

  • Helen M. Sellers appointed acting director of the Division of Nurse Education.

1957

  • Harriet E. Broward appointed director of the Division of Nursing.

1963

  • Fostine G. Riddick appointed director of the Hampton Institute Division of Nursing.

1967

  • Undergraduate nursing program received full National League for Nursing accreditation.
  • William Freeman Hall was designed by the nursing faculty and completed.

1968

  • Registered Nurse Program received National League for Nursing accreditation.

1971

  • Dr. Lois B. Sellers appointed director of the Division of Nursing. She was the first African American nurse to serve on the State Board of Nursing.

1975

  • First continuing education nursing program established at Hampton Institute.

1976

  • Master's program initiated–the first ever at a Historically Black College or University (HBCU).
  • Chi Eta Phi Sorority chartered a chapter on campus.

1977

  • Dr. Patricia E. Sloan established the M. Elizabeth Carnegie Nursing Archives, the first archives in the US designed as a repository for memorabilia on minority nurses, especially African American nurses.

1978

  • The first annual National Conference on the Black Family held by the Nursing Department.

1979

  • Master's program accredited by the National League for Nursing.

1980

  • Dr. Elnora D. Daniel appointed dean of the School of Nursing.
  • Sigma Theta Tau, National Honor Society, established a chapter on campus.

1986

  • The Hampton University Interdisciplinary Nursing Center for Health and Wellness, which was later renamed the Nursing Center, was established.
  • Dr. Elnora D. Daniel, dean of the School of Nursing, became the second African American appointed to the Virginia State Board of Nursing and its first African American president.

1990

  • The School of Nursing receives its first NIMH research grant.
  • The Teagle LPN to BS initiative began.

1991

  • Dr. Bertha L. Davis appointed dean of the School of Nursing.

1996

  • Dr. Arlene J. Montgomery appointed interim dean of the School of Nursing.

1998

  • Dr. Pamela V. Hammond appointed dean of the School of Nursing.

1999

  • PhD program initiated – the first ever at a HBCU.

2000

  • The Hampton University Pre-Entry Program (HU-PREP) funded through DHHS.

2001

  • The School of Nursing was reaccredited for 8 years by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission and for 10 years by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.

2002

  • School of Nursing signed articulation agreement with Bermuda College
  • Dr. Phyllis Henderson became the first student to graduate from the School of Nursing's doctoral program.

2003

  • School celebrated the 25 Anniversary of the Annual Conference on the Black Family.
  • The School of Nursing pioneered a new 3-year accelerated baccalaureate program at the Hampton University College of Virginia Beach.

2004

  • School celebrated the 60 Anniversary of Baccalaureate Education with a Gala entitled “60 Years of Baccalaureate Education: Caring for Families through Generations.”
  • Dr. Constance Smith-Hendricks appointed dean of the School of Nursing.

2005

  • Virginia Board Nursing visit for Main Campus and College of Virginia Beach School of Nursing Programs received 8 years of approval for both programs.
  • First graduates from the College of Virginia Beach Nursing Program

2007

  • Dr. Pamela Hammond appointed dean of the School of Nursing.

2009

  • Dr. Arlene J. Montgomery appointed dean of the School of Nursing.

2011

  • Dr. Hilda Williamson appointed interim dean of the School of Nursing.
  • Dr. Deborah E. Jones appointed dean of the School of Nursing.

2013

  • Dr. Lois Price-Spratlen Endowed Chair in Community and Mental Health Established.

2013

  • Dr. Thaddeus Spratlen established the Nursing Class of 1954 Endowed Scholarship.

2015

  • Dr. Hilda M. Williamson appointed interim dean of the School of Nursing.

2016

  • Dr. Shevellanie E. Lott appointed dean of the School of Nursing

 

This modified version of the history was compiled from the following: 
Fifty Years of Nursing Excellence: The Legacy Continues, 1944-1994
An Historical Overview of the Nursing Program at Hampton Institute by Patricia E. Sloan
History of the Department of Nursing written under the guidance of Fostine G. Riddick
Hampton University School of Nursing: Self-Study Report for Reaffirmation of Accreditation (2000) written under the guidance of Pamela V. Hammond